Dental implants are the leading way to replace missing teeth, and they are the only tooth replacement option that prevents bone loss in the jaw. However, receiving them can be a lengthy process that takes three to six months. Luckily, some patients qualify for same-day dental implants. Read on to find out if you’re eligible.
What Are Same-Day Dental Implants?
Unlike traditional dental implants, which are placed over several months and multiple procedures, same-day implants offer immediate smile transformation. As your implants heal, you regain clear speech, enhanced chewing ability, and renewed confidence.
Here is how they work:
- A titanium implant is inserted into your empty tooth socket; this implant will be a permanent replacement for the root of your tooth.
- A post called an abutment is attached to the implant to support the future tooth.
- An artificial tooth, which looks and acts like a natural tooth, is placed over the abutment.
Unlike traditional implants, which require the implant and artificial tooth to be placed separately, same-day procedures allow you to restore your smile in a single visit.
You must return later to swap the temporary tooth cover (crown) with a permanent one after your implant fuses with your jawbone.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Same-Day Implants?
The ideal candidate for same-day dental implants:
- Does not have significant jaw bone loss that requires bone grafting
- Is in good general health with no underlying conditions that require antibiotics before dental surgery
- Has good overall oral health and practices good dental hygiene
Dr. Holbrook, DMD, will perform a comprehensive consultation to determine whether same-day implants are the right treatment for tooth replacement. If not, he will guide you through the traditional implant process to help you work toward a healthier, stronger smile.
Discuss Dental Implants in Albuquerque, NM
Since 1984, Dr. Steven Holbrook has provided patients with unwavering support and personalized care. His commitment to cosmetic and implant dentistry makes him a specialist in leading dental implant technology. He is board-certified in implant dentistry, a diplomate of the American Board of Oral Implantology, a master in the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), and a fellow in the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID) and the International Congress of Oral Implantologists.
Please request an appointment through our contact form or call our practice at 505-881-1159.