Imperfections near the front of the smile can make patients feel uneasy about sharing their smile with others. Covering the smile or avoiding socialization with others can be avoided completely with cosmetic dentistry. Patients of the Albuquerque, NM area who have imperfections of the smile that keep them from feeling as confident as they should be are strongly encouraged to ask Dr. Steven E. Holbrook and his team about porcelain veneers.
How porcelain veneers work
The porcelain veneer is a thin ceramic shell that is bonded onto the front of a tooth to change its appearance. This is a fast and efficient way of covering common imperfections, including:
- Permanently stained teeth
- Misaligned/crooked teeth
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Unusually shaped or short teeth
- Gaps between the front teeth
Obtaining a porcelain veneer
To obtain a porcelain veneer for the smile, patients undergo a series of steps from start to finish:
- Evaluation. A consultation appointment and evaluation is the first step in determining candidacy for veneers.
- Preparation. The dentist removes a thin portion of enamel from the front of the tooth to prepare it.
- Impressions. Molds of the tooth or teeth are taken to get the shape of the prepared area.
- Creation. The impressions are used by our dental laboratory to create the actual veneer using specific instructions for shape, size, and color by the dentist.
- Placement. Patients return to the dental office to have their final restoration bonded onto the tooth or teeth.
How long do porcelain veneers last?
Dr. Steven E. Holbrook educates patients on how to take care of their porcelain veneers. With proper care and attention, most patients can maintain their veneers for a decade or longer!
Curious to find out if porcelain veneers can restore the appearance of your smile?
Contact our practice today by calling (505) 881-1159 to request a consultation at our facility located at 8228 Louisiana Boulevard, NE Suite C. Our dentist has over three decades of experience in providing comprehensive dental care for patients in and around the area of Albuquerque, NM. His office is open to new patients and families in the area.