There are many situations in which a patient may need to have oral surgery performed. Oral surgery may be a procedure performed on the jaw, gums, or teeth. Regardless, it is important that patients ask their dentist about the recovery needed from these procedures to ensure proper healing and recovery. Dr. Steven E. Holbrook of Albuquerque, NM can help patients fully understand what to do after their oral surgery.
- Follow surgeon’s instructions. The key to a full, fast recovery following an oral surgery procedure is to closely follow the dentist’s post-operative care instructions. These instructions are given to patients to help them avoid complications that might occur following dental procedures and promote faster healing. Listen to these instruction, follow them closely, and reap the rewards with a healthier smile!
- Rest as recommended. Getting plenty of rest is always a good idea anyway, but it can be an important part of the recovery process following certain oral procedures. The dentist will let you know when you can return to work and resume normal daily activities after surgery.
- Take medication as directed. It is important to Dr. Steven E. Holbrook that you take your medication as directed to stay on top of pain and discomfort. Sometimes, patients will be provided antibiotics that are used to control infection. This medication is important to, and should be taken as the dentist suggests.
- Maintain oral health. Keeping the mouth clean is critical after surgical procedure, so continue to practice good oral hygiene habits as you always do. Dr. Steven E. Holbrook may ask that you avoid brushing or rinsing the mouth for a while after surgery, but provides alternatives to keeping the smile clean during this hiatus.
- Eat softer foods. Discomfort is common, so be sure to have softer foods on hand for the recovery period. Some commonly enjoyed foods may include protein shakes, soups, yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, or refried beans.
Are you in need of oral surgery?
Dr. Steven E. Holbrook and his team in Albuquerque, NM can assist. If you need oral surgery, or are preparing for upcoming procedures, call the office at (505) 881-1159 to request an appointment. The office is located at 8228 Louisiana Boulevard, NE Suite C and accepts new and established patients.