Albuquerque, NM area patients who are ready to achieve a healthy, beautiful smile should learn about the ways to protect their smile from gum disease. Below are several things to consider for prevention:
- Brush your teeth. Plaque, tartar, and bacteria can build up on the teeth all day. By brushing the teeth after every meal, you can keep these problems under control.
- Floss at least once a day. Food particles stuck between teeth can break down and contribute to periodontal disease and tooth decay. Flossing is important to maintaining oral health and wellness, and should be done at least once a day, if not more.
- Use mouthwash. Even if you brush and floss thoroughly, you may not be getting your teeth as clean as you think. Mouthwash can be used to get into areas that may have been missed.
- Attend regular dental appointments. When patients visit their dentist every six months for a cleaning and evaluation, any concerns can be spotted soon enough to effectively treat them before they become a bigger problem.
- Know your risks. Certain factors can increase your risk of developing periodontal disease, including your age, habits, diet, and genetic factors. Talk with your dental professional if you are at a higher risk to determine the best course of action and any lifestyle changes that can be made.
Call Dr. Steven E. Holbrook today
If you are considering comprehensive dental care and have questions regarding the best way to maintain a healthy smile, connect with our dentist in Albuquerque, NM. Dr. Steve E. Holbrook has over three decades of experience in providing quality general, preventative, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry for new and current families. His practice can be reached for an appointment at (505) 881-1159.